Tuesday 15 May 2012

Fimbulwinter - Monsters: Levels & Lists

Monster Levels

My time with D&D goes back 30+ years so I actually cut my D&D teeth on 1st Edition (although B/X was the first version I actually DMed). However, most of my pre-3.xE DMing was with 2nd Edition.

One of the things I disliked about 2nd Edition, particularly as I look back, was the inflation of monster hit dice compared to 1st Edition, particularly with respect to the giants. This also relates to my dislike of how 4th Edition took this even further - particularly with formerly low-level foes such as troglodytes and derro - but 2nd Edition set the precedent, as it were.

As I want my Fimbulwinter campaign to run until the PCs reach the end of the Heroic tier - so around 10th- or 11th-level, I've decided to re-level the monsters I am using to the same number of hit dice that they had in 1st Edition. For example, frost giants won't be 14th-level brutes or whatever they are now, but 10th-level brutes. 

Here's my list:

  1. Orc - brute 1
  2. Gnoll - skirmisher 2
  3. Ogrillon - brute 2
  4. Vaasan wolfhound - brute 2
  5. Orog - soldier 3
  6. Taer - brute 3
  7. Frostfolk - skirmisher 4
  8. Ogre - brute 4
  9. Peryton - skirmisher 4
  10. Vaasan war drake - skirmisher 4
  11. Yeti - lurker 4
  12. Cyclopskin - brute 5
  13. Ogre mage - skirmisher 5
  14. Verbeeg - soldier (leader) 5
  15. Leucrotta - skirmisher 6
  16. Troll - brute 6
  17. Winter wolf - skirmisher 6
  18. Annis - elite soldier 7
  19. Wyvern - skirmisher 7
  20. Winter hag - elite controller 8
  21. Bulette - lurker 9
  22. Frost giant - brute 10
  23. Frost giant champion - elite brute 10
  24. Frost titan - solo brute 10
Dragons will be as per the Monster Manuals, albeit with the stats updated to MMIII maths. I expect to use black, green, red and white dragons (although a red dragon will probably only appear once due to the climate).

The Warlock Knights of Vaasa, Banites of Mulmaster and Other NPCs get separate lists as I expect I will need to make frequent adjustments as the campaign/story/plot unfolds:

Banites of Mulmaster



Warlock Knights of Vaasa

Soldier - soldier 2
Drake Rider - soldier 4
Executor - elite skirmisher 7
Fellthane Tarl Hornsong - solo soldier 9


Other NPCs

Zhentarim spirit - solo artillery or controller 3

List of Solo Monsters
Boss monsters for each adventure are included in bold:


otyugh - solo soldier 1
chuul - solo soldier 2
Zhentarim spirit - solo controller 3
4
orog champion - solo soldier 5
6
primordial herald - solo skirmisher 7
Wearer of the Purple - solo artillery 8
Fellthane Tarl Hornsong - solo soldier 9
10
Lord Kultaakar, frost titan - solo brute 11


No comments:

Post a Comment